Monday, August 12, 2013

Movies I've seen on the big screen July/August - all 18 of them...

Before festival started I headed to Lighthouse Cuba on a day off to see the latest Penelope Cruz film, Twice Born. I was not disappointed. Her and Emile Hirsch were fantastic in a film that kept delivering more and more. It was set in Italy and war torn Bosnia over a period of about 20 years. The story kept me guessing and really tugged at the heart strings.



A couple of weeks before I got my Gosling fix, again at Lighthouse Cuba. The Place Beyond the Pines was simply amazing. I loved it. 

The past 18 days we've hosted the New Zealand International Film Festival. I managed to squeeze in 16 films as well as working a nice 168 hours or so....

I really liked every film I saw. They were all so different. In no particular order, I watched:

The Bling Ring
The East
Frances Ha
The Gilded Cage
Ginger and Rosa
The Great Beauty
In The House
Like Father, Like Son
Much Ado About Nothing
Mud
Omar
The Past
Twenty Feet from Stardom
Uncharted Waters: The Personal History of Wayne Lynch
Utu Redux
Wadjda

If I had to pick a top 5 to recommend though, it'd be:

Frances Ha - shot in black and white, this off beat comedy was so great. Even better, it's out very soon in cinemas so go and watch it! 

The Gilded Cage - this French movie was the last I saw and what a delight! There is nothing I didn't love about this film.

The Great Beauty - one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen. Watch it!

Much Ado About Nothing - Joss Whedon hit the mark with this film shot in only 10 days at his house. The slapstick will have you in fits of laughter.

Wadjda - an adorable film set in Saudi Arabia and shot by a woman director. Worth seeing just because it's made history for this, but also it's really well done. Made me cry with happiness.

Am now totally exhausted. And still didn't get to see half of the ones I wanted to. 





1 comment: