Friday, November 29, 2013

A 'new' site in Peru to explore

Too many late nights have turned me a little into an insomniac. The internet at least can while away some time when the rest of the city is tucked up in their beds.
 
I stumbled across several articles on an archaeological site in Peru that somehow I've never heard of. I've been to so many museums in Peru, visited I thought most of the major sites in both the north and more touristy south, but somehow this escaped my attention.
 
Marcahuamachuco is being billed as a big tourist drawcard in the future. It's situated in the north, not far from Trujillo but up in the mountains. It's a massive site that spans over 200 hectares and is surrounded by a stone wall. It sounds incredible. They still don't know who built it/lived there as it was abandoned before the rise of the Incas and unfortunately,  like in many parts of Peru, grave robbers have looted a lot of the site of objects that might have provided clues.
 
It's been researched since 1900 but only started to be cleared in late 2010 (which is probably how it escaped my attention, having left Peru in late 2010). Anyway I am excited to visit this next time having done Machu Picchu twice before. In the bit over 3 months of my life I've spent travelling in Peru I've barely scratched the surface on things to see and do. Counting down the months until next time...

For now, here's a link to an article and also some photos of other sites I've visited. There is definitely more to Peru than Machu Pichu. The south of Peru that EVERYONE visits is pretty darn cool. But the north of Peru is what blew me away. Such beautiful scenery, amazing ruins, much friendlier people and best of all, way less tourists.
 
http://www.peruthisweek.com/news-marcahuamachuco-archeological-site-emerges-from-obscurity-in-peru-11080
Chavin ruins, Cordillera Blanca

Chavin ruins, Cordillera Blanca

 

Ventanillas de Otuzco near Cajarmarca

 

 

Kuelap fortress in Chacapoyas province

No comments:

Post a Comment