Monday, July 8, 2013

Knitting in the islands

I am still meaning to do a post about my trip to Samoa. For now, here's some pictures of knitting in Samoa. 
I find it really hard to sit still and relax these days without knitting - it just feels wrong. So of course I took a few small projects to the islands with me. I knitted every day, bar one (and only because I was so ill I could barely move, let alone pick up the needles).

Thinking of the heat, I took cotton with me to make a dish cloth, and sock yarn. I attracted a lot of attention knitting over there - both from fellow tourists and the locals. Men and children were not shy to come up and stare and ask a lot of questions while I knitted in public. The woman running the fales were intrigued by what I was making and kept checking my progress at meal times, as most of them do a lot of weaving and edge their mats with yarn. 

There really is no better way to unwind than sitting on the beach with a beautiful view, the sun shining and needles clacking :-)










No comments:

Post a Comment